Advantages And Disadvantages Of Chain Link Fencing
There are several options when choosing the material for residential fencing, including wood, vinyl, and aluminum. Each of these materials has varying qualities that make them appealing to homeowners. However, steel or aluminum chain link fences are the most common and cost-effective types of residential fencing. When choosing chain link fencing, whether it is for use as temporary fence panels or permanent fencing, it is necessary to keep in mind that like any other type of fence materials, chain link fencing has its advantages and disadvantages.
Advantages of Chain Link Fences
- Affordability-- when compared to wood or vinyl, chain link fences are typically the most affordable option, especially if you are fencing in a large area of land.
- Quick installation-- in many situations, chain link fences are easier to install than many other types of fencing. A seasoned DIY homeowner can often install this type of fencing on their own or you can enlist the help of a fence installation company.
- A variety of styles-- many people are accustomed to seeing chain link fences that are steel or aluminum and gray or silver in color. However, chain link fencing is also available in a variety of color-coated steel options, such red, black or blue. You can also choose the thickness of the steel and the height of the fence as well.
- Minimal maintenance-the materials used for a chain link fence is hard-wearing, resilient and requires minimal maintenance. The steel used is often galvanized which increases the durability and reducing the need for chain link fence repair due to rusting.
Disadvantages of Chain Link Fencing
- Security-- chain link fences aren't the most practical choice if you are looking for fencing as your primary form of residential security. Most residential chain link fences have a height of about 4 feet, which is easy to climb over. However, you can usually have a company that provides fence repair services install a taller chain link fence or even place a type of barrier at the top, such as barbed wire, but this look is typically more suited for commercial and industrial settings.
- Privacy-- chain link fences are basically see-through, so they don't provide much privacy. However, in many situations, a chain link fence repair company can install slats on this type of fencing that will help to increase the level privacy.
Overall, chain link fencing is a cost-effective and reliable fencing option. This is often the favored choice for homeowners who are looking for a reasonably priced and easy to install solution for containing pets and/or children. It is an easy project for the experienced DIY homeowner, but having the fence professionally installed is often recommended, especially if you are fencing in a large area of land.
For more information on chain link fence repair, click here!